Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Three Tips for Editing Your Vlogs.

So, when I first started making videos, I would not edit them.  For one, I didn't know how.  For another I thought I was being *real* by not editing out my pauses, my uh's and ums and my smacks.  Well, I guess I kinda was being real.  But there is only SO much real that is necessary during a video.

For example I do day in the life videos.  To have a 17 hour long video would be pretty ridiculous, right?  But that is my REAL life - I get about 7 hours of sleep and I am up for 17.  I cut that down to about 7-9 minutes.  Which is still pretty long for a Youtube video (in my opinion).

Well, in order to do that, I have to decide what to film and what to edit out.  I am still figuring this out for day-in-the-life videos.  But let me tell you what I have learned about editing a vlog to make it more interesting.

1.) Edit out repeats.  You are probably going to repeat yourself when you are filming.  That is just human nature.  But this will make you video seem really slowwwwww.   But your finished video should only have one instance of you saying something.  Edit out the other 2 or 3 times that you may say it.

2.) Edit out pauses. In a normal conversation, there are some pretty long pauses.  In video, people do not have time to wait on you to spit it out.  I have edited out a pauses as short as just 1 second and it makes a BIG difference.

3.) Edit between sentences. NOT in the middle of them.  Once I learned how to pep my videos up my cutting out the pauses and repeats, I went a little too far... I edited out every single pause, um and repeat.  Watching that video will make your head spin ^.

Those are the main tips that I use to edit my videos.  I hope they help!

Here is my most recent video:





Tomorrow's topic is on content and how to decide WHAT to record. :).  See you then!

1 comment:

Spray Advisory said...

Excellent tips! Thanks for this :)