Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My new Job Update.

So, you may know already, but I work for Fulton County Juvenile Center. I have a grant funded position providing education for students currently not in the school system (for whatever reason). They may have gotten kicked out. They may have just decided not to go to school - and got in trouble for truancy and don't want to go back because they don't want to be 16 in the 9th grade.

So far, I love my new job for the following reasons:

1.) I have practically NO supervision. Nobody is in my face telling me what they want and how they want it. I have complete freedom to do what I am doing however I want. The only thing that is mandated is that I actually teach the kids - but that is what I WANT to do anyway. :)!

2.) I work part time (13 hours a week) Yes!

3.) I tutor all day. That is all I do. No babysitting and disciplining. Just teaching. Yessss!

Unfortunately, some of these things may not last. They may be increasing my hours. Which, I shouldn't complain about because we could DEFINITELY use the money. But, 13 hours a week is plenty for my ADD personality.

Only a few students have been coming - so my disciplining problems have been slim to none. Yes, they are criminals. But the few that come regularly are honestly good kids. They actually want to learn. And I actually want to teach them. We are a good match. But since the school year is starting, more kids are likely to come. I heard that it gets pretty rowdy when 8 - 14 kids are present - most of which don't want to be there. I am NOT looking forward to that.

And another teacher is going to be hired soon. This is good and (maybe) bad. It is good because then I will have backup - in case I have to go to the bathroom or something. This may not be good because we may not be a good match. I usually get along with pretty much everybody - but what if they hire someone awful? To have to work in such close contact with someone who sucks would suck.

So, I will update you guys in a few weeks when things really start getting hectic.

No comments: