Sunday, November 27, 2011

Denim Apron Tutorial


As you guys know, I don't dress up very often - especially when I am just going to be around the house cooking.  Therefore, I do not need an apron to *protect* my cute clothes. On the contrary, I use my aprons to *dress* up my fit.  How easy is it to throw on an apron?  Easy Peezy.

Also, sometimes my pajamas don't have pockets.

With the holidays amongst us, I thought it may be a good idea to share my apron tutorial with you guys.  You are welcome ;).  Please ignore the fact that I didn't make in time for you to use while cooking your Thanksgiving meal.  Duh.



What you will need: 
1 pair of jeans (who doesn't love a great jean refashion?)
BTW, I bleached these jeans out because the original color was gross.  To see how to do that (in written form) click here.  For a video tutorial click here.

Step 1:  Cut the jeans up into 4 parts.  Cut the legs off, then cut the top part in half.  (One of my legs is smaller than the other because I used part of it in another project).  I named the pieces A, B, C, D so that we won't get confused later.  You can go ahead and put piece D to the side because we won't need it.

Step 2: Cut piece C in to 4 sections. (cut the seams off, we will use them later). We will call these pieces C1, C2, C3, and C4

Step 3: Take C1 and C2 and sew them together to create a longer piece.  Lets call this piece C12.

Step 4: Sew a gathering stitch across the top of C12, pull the gathers so that the top is the same width as the bottom of piece A.

Step 5:  Sew C12 to the bottom of piece A.

Step 6:  Sew piece B to piece A.  I put two pleats in piece B so that it will fit - and to create some boobage area. (my browser is telling me that boobage is not a word, but I disagree).

Step 7: Take the remaining pieces from piece C (C3, and C4) and create two straps.  You really only need one strap - you can use the other one in another project.

Step 8: Trim the seams from when you cut up piece C.

Step 9: Sew on the seams to the waist of piece A and a strap to the top of piece B.

Done!


You didn't even notice my PJ's under there, did you?

I am linking up again to the Pleated Poppy.  Go check out what they are wearing ;).

AND to Frugally Sustainable.  I love that blog!

5 comments:

Libby said...

Wow, this is a fantastic tutorial! You inspire me. Maybe it's time to end my pity-party and craft something. :-) Love the headwrap too.

Ayana said...

Do it Libby! Make one! (and show me the pictures, please ;).

Unknown said...

I LOVE this! And I love your headwrap too:) Thank you so very much for linking up to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways:) It is my sincere hope that you will continue to make Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways a part of your Wednesdays! Keep the great posts comin':)
Blessings,
Andrea
www.frugallysustainable.com

Nicole Maki said...

This is such a great tutorial, thanks so much for sharing it. With three teen boys, I have a HUGE bag of old denim - this would be just the thing to make.

If I take a crack at it I'll send you a link to the pics.

Thanks for a wonderful new way to reuse our denim.

Warmly,
Nicole

Ayana said...

Awwww, thank you guys so much!