Sunday, May 23, 2010

First Fruits!

So, I started a garden. And I am oh so happy about it!

One of the exercises in Life Mapping is to map out your ideal day. My day consisted of some of what I already do along with gardening and bread making. So, as soon as I got home, I got started working on my garden. I planted tomatoes, green peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon, brussel sprouts, and garlic. I bought the tomatoes, green peppers, and cantaloupe already sprouted from Ace and Home Depot. But being thrifty, I saw that it is much cheaper to sprout them yourself!

So, I bought a kit (another waste of money, actually). I used a kit to sprout the brussels sprouts. I just used some soil to sprout the watermelon. And the garlic sprouted on it's own on my shelf - you know, how if you don't use the garlic quick enough, it starts growing a green leaf? Well, if you just plant the garlic part - and leave the leaf above the soil, it will keep growing!

Before I stated this project, I was convinced that I had a black thumb. I couldn't even keep houseplants alive - you know the ones that are supposed to be so hard to kill? I murdered them.

Well, my plants are bearing fruit! I can't even believe it! It makes me want to turn my whole backyard into a vegetable garden! And it is so super easy. I realize that I had the wrong perspective on growing plants. For some reason, I had the idea that *I* am the one responsible for the plant's growth, but really, it grows all on it's own. The only thing I have to do is make sure the environment is ideal. Not even the environment - the just that the soil is watered enough and that birds and bugs don't eat the leaves and fruit too much.

Did you see my little tomato plant? Well, here it is just in case:
Here is my little watermelon sprouts. It took a couple of weeks to go from 2 seeds, to this:
I need to re-pot them soon....

Here is my cantaloupe plant. It looked similar to how the watermelon plant looks now when I bought it.
I shouldn't need to re-pot the cantaloupe.
And here is my bell pepper plant:
Where you see the flowers budding is going to be where the bell peppers grow.

Oh and I have netting on the tomatoes and bell peppers to keep the birds from getting at them.

Now, doesn't that make you want to start your own garden? It is TOO easy!

No comments: