Saturday, July 05, 2008

My phone broke the other day.


I was not surprised seeing as how my phones last about a year before something goes wrong. But the contract lasts for two years, which means I am not usually eligible for an *upgrade* when I need one.

To compensate for this lapse in phone coverage, I always get insurance - an extra $6 a month. However, recently I realized that I'm getting got. For each phone I break, I have to pay a deductible. The deductible for this last phone, the KRZR, is $70! Unless I run over the phone with my car the day after I buy it, this insurance is worthless.

I went on T-Mobile's website to look at new phones and prices. I sign in with my number to make sure the prices are accurate for me.

The BlackBerrys start at $99 and the KRZR that I have is practically free. I was thinking, "yeah, I can afford to cough up $99 for a slick new phone". Then I call to order it and low and behold I am not eligible for that price. "For you, Ayana, the price is really $207". Apparently those prices were not accurate.

So you can imagine my displeasure at having to pay twice the price of new customers. Just to spite them, I was considering paying the disconnect fee and changing companies. I called T-Mobile with questions about doing just that.

Well, they did not like that line of questioning. Immediately, I got transferred to their customer retention center. And they started offering me all kinds of great deals. I could get a BlackBerry for as low as $79! The Curve for $124! At that price, of course, I ended up buying the Curve. Woohoo new phone!

Now I just gotta figure out what I'm gonna do next year.

1 comment:

eesh said...

Hey! Thanks for posting on my blog. I'm definitely going to try out some of your color suggestions in my outfits for this summer. I usually stick to earth tones when I dress but I'm trying to break out of that mold!

Lucky you about that great phone deal! It looks amazing. Hopefully this one will last out the 2 yrs. Oh and I love your yarn stash. I wish I could organize mine so nicely. My fabric stash is another mess entirely.