Thursday, June 09, 2011

Pancake Mix

When I became a mom, I realized that 24 hours is just not enough time in the day. Especially, when you are a stay-at-home mom trying to feed your children food with wholesome ingredients.

So, I developed a few shortcuts. One of which is a pancake mix. This way, I can make my pancakes *from scratch* while still using a mix - and KNOWING what the heck is in the food I am feeding my son.

Here are the ingredients:

1 cup of white whole wheat flour

2 cups of oats (or some other hot cereal mix that has great ingredients), ground into a flour. I use my blender to do this. I used this mix :
2 cups of whole wheat flour

4 Tablespoons of Sugar

4 teaspoons of baking powder

2 teaspoons of baking soda

2 teaspoons of salt

Then I mix it up really well and put it in an oatmeal box:

When you are ready to use it, just mix one cup of the mix, 2 tablespoons of veg oil, 1 egg, and milk to the consistency that you like. This will make 4-6 pancakes depending on how thin you like them.

Most times, I mix in a banana and nuts if I have them. You can also put in some vanilla flavor and cinnamon if you have the time. Or you could throw in some blueberries, chocolate chips or whatever. This is just a base mix and it encourages my son to eat whole grains. He LOVES pancakes.

Note:
This pancake mix *tastes* healthy. As in - it does NOT taste like IHOP's bleached white pancakes.

No comments: